Bugerator update, Tickerator and The Lost and Found

Woohoo.  Bugerator is going places. 🙂 I know it isn’t a lot but it has 88 users and I have received several bug reports. Yes it has bugs.  It is hard to find everything before a project is in the wild when you are a team of 1.  But I’m getting to them relatively quickly.  As of now it has 88 downloads which considering I have done no promotion other than making it available pleases me.

I’ve done a little rewriting of the tickerator install.  In a nutshell I hated it.  I already posted about that though.

So I’ve had a request from the community theater to manage the lost and found from our website.  So coming really soon is the Lost and Found plugin for WordPress.  Basically it allows you to post pictures and descriptions of items in your lost and found and people can claim them by typing their Name and email or phone.  No WP login required.  The administrator can elect to receive emails whenever an item is claimed then mark the item as returned or whatever.

Everything is done except the admin interface and I expect to get that done in the next day or two.  This will be appropriate for community theaters, church groups, community centers, or any group that has a Word Press site and has people leave items behind.  We will be announcing the lost and found via our group email so that parents can claim the things their children (or them) have left behind.  Good times…

Rethinking Tickerator

I was comparing tickerator to the finished bugerator and thinking – I really hate how tickerator is right now.  I had just gotten past the install in programming it, but I don’t like the install.  So – starting over. 😉

Looking back the F3 framework I was using might be a little awkward in typing things.  I would probably get used to it but after working inside of WordPress I decided I like their style of accessing things better.  I’m still debating whether or not this should be able to be installed as a WordPress plugin but I thought I would rework it a bit so if I do decide to use it as a plugin that it would almost be able to drop in.  I’m going to use the principles of F3 such as the templates, single file routing, etc. but just not the framework itself.  Also for bugerator I realized there are quite a few webhosts that do not have PHP 5.3 which F3 requires so that’s another reason for me to move away from F3.

So I’m going to write the DB access as a class with similar methods to WordPress’s db class and while I won’t necessarily have “hooks” I can still use an install class that would be accepted by WordPress with adding some simple hooks at the beginning.  I think I like this idea better.

Still going to use camelCase because I don’t like typing a billion underscores for variable names as much.  So_there.  So if I do this as a plugin it won’t be 100% according to the standards that the WordPress team wants but that’s ok.