Category Archives: Development Notes

Rethinking Tickerator

I was comparing tickerator to the finished bugerator and thinking – I really hate how tickerator is right now.  I had just gotten past the install in programming it, but I don’t like the install.  So – starting over. 😉

Looking back the F3 framework I was using might be a little awkward in typing things.  I would probably get used to it but after working inside of WordPress I decided I like their style of accessing things better.  I’m still debating whether or not this should be able to be installed as a WordPress plugin but I thought I would rework it a bit so if I do decide to use it as a plugin that it would almost be able to drop in.  I’m going to use the principles of F3 such as the templates, single file routing, etc. but just not the framework itself.  Also for bugerator I realized there are quite a few webhosts that do not have PHP 5.3 which F3 requires so that’s another reason for me to move away from F3.

So I’m going to write the DB access as a class with similar methods to WordPress’s db class and while I won’t necessarily have “hooks” I can still use an install class that would be accepted by WordPress with adding some simple hooks at the beginning.  I think I like this idea better.

Still going to use camelCase because I don’t like typing a billion underscores for variable names as much.  So_there.  So if I do this as a plugin it won’t be 100% according to the standards that the WordPress team wants but that’s ok.


Development uh definitions… conventions…??? notes??

This is using the Fat-Free Framework found here:  I looked at some and decided this was fine.  One of them I looked at had over 3,700 files and I happen to know that many shared hosting sites have file limits.  Bluehost where we are will not run auto-site backups if you are over 20,000 files so I’m certainly not going to waste 3,700 files on the stupid framework.  After having started I’m actually quite happy with this anyway.  The framework is contained entirely in the lib directory.

We’re using camelCase for everything.  I hate trying to find the ‘_’ key all the time – except in MYSQL.  Don’t know why but I’m using the ‘_’ in the database.  Deal with it.

We’re using the object oriented thing – classes are upper CamelCase and class file names need to match the class name exactly for the autoloader to find them.  Created classes will all be in the includes directory.

All routing will be done through the main index.php.

All visual elements will be done through templates in the ui directory.  The index.php will be responsible for calling the templates.

The dict directory will be for the translation files.  The cache and temp directories are used by the framework.

Code should be indented with <tab>s and COMMENTED!  Yes put some comments in that code.  That one of the reasons I started this project!!!